Every woman loves to be pampered. After a long day women feel worn out and physically tired. One of my favorite things to do is have a long soak in the tub to erase that tired feeling from my body.
* Epsom salts (the base of all homemade bath salts/bombs) are not only a base…they are also really good for your skin! I’ve heard people say that at health spas when you’re trying to get rid of those last few pounds of weight they will recommend you take a bath with epsom salts so many times a week. It’s like a detox for your skin…sooooooo good for you!
* Essential Oils are also great for you as scents do react with certain parts of your brain. For instance, lavender is known to help you sleep better. Lemongrass will wake you up! Anything citrus will boost your happy.
So making these will have the added benefit of being a cheap, easy, homemade present – and a health benefit!
Now, as to the cheap and easy:
* Epsom salts are just about the cheapest salts you can buy. I generally buy sea salt at the health food store and it is also pretty cheap (you can get a huge bag for $3 – will last you months even with gifts)
* Containers – you can buy cute glass jars, etc, at the dollar store or your local thrift store. They will usually run you about $1 a jar (sometimes less if you can find a good deal).
* Essential Oils – this will be the only cost factor of this gift. But, if you’re already into using essential oils then you should have what you need on hand. A little jar of oil will run you anywhere from $6 – $12 depending on the type. I think lavender is one of the cheaper ones, while I’ve never seen peppermint less than $10 (and I have yet to splurge on one). BUT, these little jars will last you for a while. I’ve had my lavender for a few years now. I put it in my bath, in my son’s bath, in my homemade laundry detergent, etc. It will be a cost up front but it will really work out to pennies for each use.
* Colouring – you can also buy the colours to make your bath salts look pretty. I’ve always hesitated to use colours as I’m scared of turning people’s skin an unnatural colour, but I do know other people who have use colour…so you can!
Now that you have all your items it will take you less than 30 minutes to put them all together and package them up.
1. Pour 2 cups of Epsom salts in a bowl.
2. Add 5-10 drops of essential oils (or you can even leave this out. Epsom salts on their own make for a great bath)
4. Place in a sealable container
5. Decorate with ribbon or pretty labels =)
That is how easy it is to make these!
Here are some websites that will help your creative juices get flowing.
Here they show you how to use food colouring.
Here is another using real lavender leaves.
And because this post has turned into a crazy long one I will wait until tomorrow to show you have to turn epsom salts into bath bombs – YES…totally awesome.