I promised a recipe this week and this is one I tried last night. Sooo yum! You will love the Italian flavours and the fact that the potatoes fill you up. This is definitely a meal for those who are meat and potato kind of people.
1 1/2 lbs of ground beef 5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 onions 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 cups of spaghetti sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sugar (I actually left this out and it still tasted great!)
* In large skillet cook ground beef and onions, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Discard drippings
* Stir in spaghetti sauce, basil, oregano, and sugar. Cook for 2 minutes to blend flavours.
* Spread one third meat mixture on bottom of 13 x 9 pan; arrange half of potatoes on top.
* Repeat layers; top with remaining meat mixture
* Bake, covered, in 375 degree for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
*Bake for 10 minutes longer until cheese melts. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Make sure your potatoes are cooked (mine were still a little crunchy when we pulled it out). It is definitely a keeper meal for us. And it means two nights of dinners as there are only two of us eating a 13×9 cassarole! lol Ummmm.
I also added tomatoes, green peppers, and green onions on the top for some garnish and I think I would actually add them with the layers of meat and potatoes for some extra flavours.
I hope you enjoy as much as I did!